Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chili

Recipe From: Nathan Kemling (Kirsten's Uncle)

Ingredients

3 cans each of Black Beans & Pinto Beans (somewhat drained)
5 cans of Mexican Style Tomatoes
2 12 oz. cans of Tomato Paste
1 Jar Prego Spaghetti Sauce
2 large onions (chopped)
4 green Bell peppers (washed and cut into bite size squares)
Cloves of Garlic (I measure out three or four "spoon" fulls)
I sometimes use Mushrooms (if you use then chopped or diced)
2 Lbs. of Carrots (peeled and quartered; sometimes I just cut them into 1/4" wheels)
1 - 2 Lbs. of Lean Ground Beef
1 - 2 Lbs of Ground Turkey

Instructions

I typically cut the onion up and get it started in a skillet to sauté with some Olive oil. Then add in the minced garlic. While that's started at a temp of 3 - 4 on our oven I start on the mushrooms (if I have some) and add them in with the onions. Then I bring out a large pot and open the canned beans, Mexican Style Tomatoes, and Spaghetti Sauce. I add this all into the "big" pot, mix, and get it started on the oven with a low to medium low temp of 3 - 4 (on our oven). Then I start peeling and quartering the Carrots. As the onion mix finishes up (you have been stirring this and adjusting temp as needed all along) I add it into the big pot and mix it up so well distributed. By this time I usually have the Carrots about ready and I add more Olive oil into the skillet I used for the onions and begin to stir fry the carrots to give them a quick start on the way to cooking.
While the Carrots are cooking I continue to stir and begin to work on the Bell Peppers. I get them cut into bite size cubes and add them into the big pot. When the Carrots have "nice color" I know they are about ready so I add them into the big pot and mix them in so they are well distributed. The big pot is still not very hot at this time (typically). Now that the skillet is free I get the Ground Beef and Turkey started to brown. As it begins to cook chunk it up to your preference (large or small). While the meat is cooking I open and add in the Tomato Paste. I then add water to adjust and obtain the desired consistency (which is each cooks preference). I then add in Black Pepper (liberally) to taste, some salt also to taste (don't worry about salt to much because figure it comes in with the canned beans also), about four to five well rounded tablespoons of Chili powder, and if desired, last night used a little "Hot Sauce" to taste (didn't put in enough to really change the flavor). Usually at this point I break out the overflow pot and separate the mix in the "not quite big enough pot" into two pots and add in the meat. I let this simmer or slow cook for two or more hours stirring regularly. The goal of the cooking is to one get the carrots and peppers cooked through and to gel the various juices and spices. While the Chili slow cooks I sample the juices several times and add water or possibly a spice as I choose (usually not required). Sometimes at this point I have added a small amount of sugar to get that umm good chili want some more background taste. You really need to be careful if you add any sugar though because it won't take much to ruin the whole pot of Chili. Usually the Spaghetti Sauce, Carrots, and Bell Peppers have already taken care of the subtle sweet that many people enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment