Friday, August 31, 2012

Williams College Bar Brownie

Recipe From: Williams College Dining Services  (note to other college/university dining services: if you want really good food, you have to do it yourself and not outsource it.  Williams College Dining Services is proof.  Because I had no experience with other college dining services while at Williams, I did not realize how good they were until I visited other colleges and went to graduate school.)

Story:  I came by this recipe as a result of staring at a knife in my cutlery drawer and thinking, "I'm pretty sure this is a Greylock Dining Hall knife."  I had a couple of spoons and forks of the same pattern and I felt some guilt over this.  It was a thoughtless theft as I hadn't intended to leave college with dining hall cutlery and I'm not even sure how I ended up with as I don't recall taking it having bought my own bowls and cups and such.  So I wrote to dining services, explaining I'd graduated over 10 years ago, I was pretty sure I had some of their cutlery and where should I send it back to?  Oh, and by the way, was there any chance of getting the Williams College brownie recipe?  Dining Services wrote me back and very kindly said I could keep the forks and spoons and also mailed me the recipes for brownies with helpful instructions on how I might go about reducing the quantity for home use.  Williams brownies tend to generate strong feelings from people.  They either love them or can't see how you could eat one, but few people are neutral.  I loved them.  They were almost fudge-like, they were so dense and chocolatey.  Just great!

Preheat Oven to: 370 degrees

Ingredients (original recipe)

1 pound, 6 1/2 oz granulated sugar
12 1/2 oz Shortening (Sweetex)
2 7/8 tsp spice salt
2 1/2 oz Numoline (invert sugar syrup used on commercial baking)
8 oz liquid eggs plus 1 1/2 oz for egg wash
4 oz cocoa powder
7 1/2 oz corn syrup
15 oz cake flour
2 oz water
1 Tbl vanilla extract
4 oz chopped nuts (opt)

Instructions
Cream sugar, shortening, salt and numoline. Add eggs and beat.  Blend in cocoa and corn syrup.  Add flour, water and vanilla.  Scale 9 lbs batter into greased full sheet pan and wash with egg wash.  Scale 4-8 lbs per half sheet.  Sprinkle 1/2 sheet with nuts; leave some plain.  Bake at 370 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  Makes 1 1/2 13x18" sheet pans, or about 90 brownies.

Notes
I have to confess I have no idea what "scale 9 lbs batter" means, since I don't think the ingredients add up to 9 pounds. However, I haven't tried it to see.  I assume this instruction would make sense to a commercial baker.

Ingredients (scaled recipe for home use)
Note: this is still under development.  I haven't perfected the Williams College brownie at home yet, so this post may change over time!

1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup + 2tsp butter or shortening
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup cocoa powder
7 Tbl corn syrup (1 Tbl shy of 1/2 cup)
1 cup + 1 Tbl cake flour
3 Tbl water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Instructions
Cream sugar, shortening and salt.  Add eggs and beat.  Blend in cocoa powder and corn syrup.  Add flour, water and vanilla.  Pour into a greased 8x8 pan.  Sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired.  Bake at 370 for 35-40 minutes.  Makes 16 brownies.





No comments:

Post a Comment